Friday, March 23, 2018

Even Bad Teams Need Fans

It’s 1970 maybe? And the Chicago White Sox, at a nadir in their history, honor straight A students with free tickets. I’ve donned my blue Sox cap.... I own the baseball cards and a weakness for the undermost of underdogs. I have brought my ball glove, even though we are seated way out there in the upper deck right field line..there's no one within 50 seats of us.
Ugly old echoing Comiskey with its weather beaten wooden seats, dropped in the middle of nowhere.

If you can see past my knee socks, check out those hand decorated tennis shoes.

Once, a friend and I spent hours painting a banner for Luis Aparecio Day for the opportunity to walk on the field between games at a double header and, maybe, win some tickets.

The second game was rained out.

Another time, our family car overheated in weekend traffic trying to get to an afternoon game; my father in a fury of impatience pulled out, made a U turn, and we went straight home in dead silence.

I was a loyal fan those two years, but a philosophical one..I knew the Sox were abysmal and hopeless, but even bad teams need fans....


To all the fans of lost causes,

Happy Baseball Eve....

No comments:

Post a Comment