Monday, January 29, 2018

Hair Do Well



Well, we all have a face
That we hide away forever
And we take them out
And show ourselves when everyone has gone
Some are satin, some are steel
Some are silk and some are leather
They're the faces of a stranger
But we'd love to try them on

I thought I’d taken some really bad pictures in my life, but until I saw the results of Google’s Arts & Culture ‘Find Your Face in a Museum’ exercise, I would never have guessed that my inner vision could be so different than my outer visage.  Don’t get me wrong...there might be a certain cache’ attached to sharing features with Big Bowl, a Crow Chief (Alfred Jacob Miller), Henry Clay (John B. Neagle) and...wait for it….a youngish George Washington (Charles Willson Peale).  If nothing else, I guess I’m an All American, right?

But...can you give me a break?  Barring the self portrait of a tough looking woman with round glasses and a fedora, not a single Google suggestion is female.  Talk about a stranger!


That disillusionment aside, without a doubt my worst feature is my hair.  Long, it tended to lanky if not downright limp.  Short, it had a life of its own, disdaining the force of gravity and tending to head in every direction but down.  
 
As a result of the flaws of what the Bible has called a woman’s “crowning glory”, what I see repeatedly in family photos are not smile lines, or eyeglasses, but unkempt, uncut, or unruly hair.


A classic case..the classic case, as a matter of fact….are our wedding pictures. Here is the bride, there is the groom, and neither one of them has considered what posterity would make of the “HAIR!” of the 1970s:
 
Let it fly in the breeze
And get caught in the trees
Give a home to the fleas in my hair
A home for fleas
A hive for bees
A nest for birds
There ain't no words
For the beauty, the splendor, the wonder
Of my…

HAIR!  But that’s not the full story.  Look at how Blake’s orange shoes clash with his peachy tux.  I mean peachy as in hue, not ‘peachy’ as a term for just fine.  Look at the general level of hirsutitude (yes, that’s a word..it’s on the internet!) among the wedding party both male and female. No wonder the bride and groom and their friends look happy, while the pictures of the grandparents show a level of gravity at best and gloom at worst.


My next worst photos are recorded shortly thereafter, when I tried to distract attention from the effects of impending motherhood by subjecting my poor happy mop of hair to the chemical treatment of a perm.  Obsessively straight hair required excessive amounts of the noxious fluids necessary to make my hair curl; the final hairdo shot right past body and wave into the red zone of  frizz.  
 


And there it remained for the next couple of years while Lee was a babe in arms, learned to walk, and welcomed her new sister Ann.  



Since then, my bad hair days have mostly been converted to bad hat days.  My short coiffeur inevitably becomes a flattop after a day under a Carhartt stocking hat in the winter or a UVA bucket hat or visor in the summer.
 
Not to worry...after forty years of this kind of behavior, I accept keeping my hair “undercover” is the best way to keep myself out of the camera’s eye. There are worse fates than “hat head”!



No comments:

Post a Comment