Sunday, September 21, 2014

And Give Us Today Our Daily Bread...

Smell that?
Oh no, well, I guess you can't....you're reading a blog post and not listening for the buzzer to go off because the combined aromas of cinnamon and oven are drifting into the living room. .....
....and sure enough! There it is!
I have never attempted to tally the number of loaves of apple bread I have baked, the number of apples I have peeled to make those loaves, nor the number of said loaves I have taken to carry in dinners at our church.
Sometimes I think my fruit of the Spirit is peeling.....

But there are four more, ready to be bread...or dessert....or something to pop in the kids' mouths because they simply cannot wait their turn in line.....
As I stood at the counter this evening, counting the apples out six by six, (because a half dozen nice apples, peeled and cut in chunks, is almost always close enough to the four cups required by the recipe), I thought of our Saviour breaking bread, giving thanks, and passing the pieces to his disciples. I ponder the marvel of a loaf of bread....something that is ONE, but made to be shared with MANY, else why would there be not one, but two miracles performed by Jesus involving a multitude and a multiplying of bread.
Apple bread crumbles like crazy... So made to be morsels for many.
So much companionship over the table...so many of my very favorite recipes have been shared by this church family!

"Is it not to divide your bread with the hungry And bring the homeless poor into the house; When you see the naked, to cover him; And not to hide yourself from your own flesh? Isaiah 58:7
Tomorrow we will gather together to eat again...
 To feed all who come to our open door.
 We will break bread with Communion and fellowship with a meal.
There will be plenty and no one will leave empty.

I end this with a little piece my uncle wrote many years ago for a family cookbook. It strikes me as so right in expressing the open table and generous hearts and hands I see around me....

Yes, everything....

Including the bread.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete